Local man starts his own non-profit to put an end to bullying in our schools.
A Palm Beach Gardens man has taken it upon himself to put an end to bullying in our schools.
Lowell Levine is the President and Founder of Stop the Bullying Now Foundation, Inc.
He is a real estate broker by trade, but says the latest statistics have gotten the better of him, and he wants to turn things around.
Here are some sobering stats from Levine's website:
- 60% of middle school students say that they have been bullied, while 16% of staff believes that students are bullied.
- 160,000 students stay home from school every day due to bullying. (NEA)
- 30% of students who reported they had been bullied said they had at times brought weapons to school.
- A bully is 6 times more likely to be incarcerated by the age of 24.
- A bully is 5 times more likely to have a serious criminal record when he grows up.
- 2/3 of students who are targets become bullies.
- 20% of all children say they have been bullied.
Click Here for more statistics and to find out how to help the foundation place mental health experts in schools on a regular basis.
If you think your child is being bullied, Levine has this advice:
Immediately confront the teacher, and get an attorney to write a letter to the school principal, send a copy to the superintendent and copies to your two representatives in Tallahassee (Senate/House). If there are other parents having similar problems at the same school, then there will be a class action situation that can be very powerful.